Equity in Missouri Higher Education
2021 Equity in Missouri Higher Education Summit
Hear Me, See Me, the MDHEWD's 2021 Equity in Missouri Higher Education Summit was held virtually October 26-28, 2021.
Keynote speakers included: Martha Snyder, Senior Director, HCM Strategists; Dr. Sarah Pingel, Senior Policy Analyst, Education Commission of the States; Dr. Clarence Green, Vice President of Culture at Northwest Missouri State University; and Dr. Rolundus Rice, aka "the Dapper Dean", Vice President of Academic Affairs at Rust College.
If you missed the 2021 Equity in Missouri Higher Education Summit, video recordings of every session are available on the DHEWD YouTube Page. You can view all of the information about each session at Eduvents.dhewd.mo.gov.
Bridges to Success Equity Webinar Series
The MDHEWD is hosting a series of webinars each month to discuss important topics around equity in Missouri higher education. The monthly webinars will feature presentations from higher education and community partners from around the state. White papers will be released to coincide with each webinar topic.
Don't miss these opportunities to continue to make Missouri more equitable for all students. Sign up to receive Equity Updates from MDHEWD. Enter your email address, then select "Equity" from the list of subscription topics.
2020 Equity in Missouri Higher Education Report - Published Oct. 26, 2020
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Equity in Higher Education - Published September 2020
- Academic Readiness in the Time of COVID-19 - Published November 2020
- Ensuring Access to Technology during the COVID-19 Pandemic - Published January 2021
- COVID-19's Impact on the Transfer Pathway - Published February 2021
- CARES Act and Access to Financial Aid - Published March 2021
- Preventing COVID-19 Stop-outs: How the Guided Pathways Model can be a Safety Net for Students - Published April 2021
- Equity in Mental Health during COVID-19 - Published May 2021
- Missouri's Degrees When Due - Published June 2021
- Competency Based Learning: Equity and Covid - Published July 2021
Upcoming Webinars All webinars will begin at noon
- May 24 - 3:00 - 4:00 p.m.: "Multicultural Scholarship Program: How predominately white institutions can leverage equity to create student success and an inclusive & equitable campus environment" presented by Dr. Ashley Storman, Manager of Diversity, Equity, & Recruitment at the New Honor Society and Chinyere Turner, Program Coordinator at Maryville University.
Past Webinar Recordings and Presentations
- September 24: "Equity Mindedness in the Era of COVID-19" recording presented by St. Louis Graduates
- October 26: "2020 Equity in Missouri Higher Education Report" recording by Erik Anderson and Sam Bezjak; Presentation slides
- October 27: "A Student's Story" recording by Kiona Sinks, Elevate Consulting
- October 28: "The Role of Education in Civil Rights Enforcement: Civilian Oversight in the Aftermath of Michael Brown, Breonna Taylor, and George Floyd" recording by Kimberly Taylor-Riley, Commissioner, Civilian Oversight Board for the City of St. Louis; Presentation slides
- October 29: "MOCAN: Here for you, here for your students" recording; Presentation slides
- October 30: "The Pipeline to Equity" recording; Presentation slides
- November 19: "From High School to the Future: Current Challenges, Opportunities, and Initiatives to Close the Gaps in Missouri" presented by Takako Nomi, Associate Professor, St. Louis University, Michael Podgursky, Director, Sinquefield Center for Applied Economic Research, Saint Louis University, and Zekita Armstrong-Asuquo, President, Gateway Global Data Logistics Co.; Presentation slides
- January 14: "Geography and Access: Rural Student College Enrollment" presented by Matt Newlin, Ed.D.; Presentation slides
- February 11: "Understanding Equity Across the Student Experience" presented by Dr. Angie Besendorfer, Chancellor, WGU Missouri, and Dr. Jason Levin, Executive Director, WGU Labs; Presentation slides
- March 11: Supporting Student Success and Equity During COVID-19: A Women’s College Success Center Perspective, presented by Alicia Sparer, Student Success Center Assistant Director, Stephens College; Presentation slides
- April 15: "Best Practices for College Access Past, Present, and National Pandemic" presented by Dr. Natissia Small, Assistant Provost for Access and Academic Support, University of Missouri-St. Louis; Presentation slides
- May 13: "Education for a Equitable Recovery: Meeting the Demands for Community and Technical College in Missouri" presented by InsideTrack; Presentation slides
- June 10: "Degrees When Due: Using Data to Drive Student Success Strategies for Adult Learners" presented by Leanne Davis, Associate Director of Research and Policy, Institute for Higher Education Policy (IHEP); 6.10 Presentation Slides
- July 29: "The Learner's Journey: Accessible Postsecondary Training through Work-Based Learning" presented by Jeanna Caldwell, Apprenticeship and Work-Based Learning Manager, MDHEWD; 7.29 Presentation Slides
- August 19: "The Journey Back: Best Practices in Supporting Student Completion of Degree and Study Programs" presented by Sara Horn of ReUP Education; 8.19 Presentation Slides
- September 16: "Creating Postsecondary Aspirations in Middle School for Underrepresented Students" presented by Candace Villanueva Greer, College & career Manager with PREP-KC
- November 18: "Using Agilities to Explore Careers and Expand Opportunity" presented by Leigh Anne Taylor Knight and Ann Zimmerman of the DeBruce Foundation, with Megan Elsen and Susi Krulewich of UMKC
- January 20: "Access and Outcomes: A New Era for Career and Technical Education" presented by Emily C. R. Witt, M.Ed., CCMA, Chief Administrative Officer, St. Louis School of Phlebotomy; 1.20 Presentation Slides
- February 10: "Hire Education: Exploring the Role of Unconscious Bias and Search Committee Preparedness in the Recruitment and Selection of Diverse Faculty and Staff" presented by Dr. Antoinette Boyd, Director of Career Services at Maryville University; 2.10 Presentation Slides
- March 17: "Bridge to the Stars: An Equity-Minded Early-College Experience for Broadening Participation in STEM" presented by Daniel H. McIntosh, Ph.D., Chair and Professor, Department of Physics & Astronomy, UMKC Director of STEM Innovation, Missouri Institute for Defense and Energy; 3.17 Presentation Slides.
2019 Equity in Missouri Higher Education Summit Recap
The Missouri Department of Higher Education & Workforce Development hosted the Equity in Missouri Higher Education Summit on Oct. 30, 2019. The Summit featured the release of a report on the state of equity in Missouri higher education, presentations and breakout sessions related to equity in student access and progress.
Equity Summit Photo Highlights
Presentations and Panels from the 2019 Equity in Missouri Higher Education Summit
- Zora Mulligan, Commissioner of Higher Education
- Wil Del Pilar, Ph.D., Vice President of Higher Education Policy, Education Trust
- Angelette Prichett, Director of Academic Affairs, Missouri Department of Higher Education & Workforce Development
- Erik Anderson, Director of Innovation and Performance, Missouri Department of Higher Education & Workforce Development
- Using Data to Drive Institutional Transformation to Improve Retention and Graduation for Underrepresented Students
- Reintegration Into the Workforce: Bringing Workers off the Sidelines
- Paving the Way to Rural Postsecondary Access & Success
- Inclusive Postsecondary Education for Students with IDD
- Using High Impact Practices and Practical Steps to Improve Retention and Graduation Rates for Underrepresented/Marginalized Students
- Barriers to Access for Immigrant Students
2020 Missouri Department of Higher Education and Workforce Development Staff Presentations
- February 4, 2020 Mid America Regional Council GradForce KC Meeting, Dr. Jude Kyoore and Sam Bezjak "Institutional Metrics from the Missouri Equity Report"
- February 19, 2020, COTA Conference, Dr. Jude Kyoore and Sam Bezjak "Report of the Missouri Equity Project: Access and Progress"
- April 2, 2020, MKN Regional Trio Conference, Sarah Salmons, MDHEWD and Dr. Trent Ball, Southeast Missouri State University