Loan discharge (having your loan forgiven) is the release of a federal student loan borrower from all or part of their student loan repayment obligations.


There are a number of reasons for which a federal student loan may be discharged, such as:



Requesting a discharge or forgiveness


  • Contact your loan holder or servicer(s). You should use the National Student Loan Data System to determine the servicer(s) of your loan(s) and your total debt if you do not know this information. You will need your FSA ID to access your NSLDS records. You may also retrieve this information by calling 800-4FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).

  • Provide all required documentation.

  • Keep a copy of your request and documentation, and follow up with your loan holder until your discharge is granted or denied.

  • Do NOT stop making payments until you receive notice from your loan holder or servicer that your discharge is granted.