Are you a veteran?

If you have served in active or reserve duty in the United States Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard) and were discharged or separated under a condition other than a dishonorable discharge, you may be eligible for educational assistance benefits.


You may already be aware that you or your surviving family members could be eligible to receive educational assistance benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs', however, there are some additional benefits you may be eligible to receive:


  • Effective August 2008, some veterans may be eligible for reduced tuition through the Missouri Returning Heroes Act at a Missouri public higher education institution.

  • The state of Missouri offers a grant program for survivors of veterans: Wartime Veteran's Survivors Grant.

  • Special student loan provisions and resources are available to veterans. Visit the National Council of Higher Education Resources and click on the Servicemembers Info tab to learn more. You can find information on interest caps for loans obtained prior to your military service during periods of active duty. For more information, visit the U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid website. If your student loan is in default, contact your collection agency if you believe you qualify for benefits under the Servicemember Civil Relief Act.


Note: Some Servicemember Civil Relief Act (SCRA) benefits listed on NCHER’s website are NOT available to borrowers in default on their federal student loan.


Use the GI Bill Comparison Tool to learn about education programs and compare estimated benefits by school.


For more information regarding federal veterans benefits, contact your college's veteran affairs office, Missouri's St. Louis regional office, or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.